Saturday, June 17, 2017

Are dmissions in Singapore based Educational Institutes really based on Meritocrity? If so Meritocrity needs to be explained?

I have applied twice to some courses in Singapore. The first one was in the year 2010-2011 when i was already working as an IT Manager at firm in Singapore with hands on work on analytics. The application was for a data Analytic s course at SIM.. [most likely] ( a basic 6 months course for data Analytics ) when i already had years of real world experience in Business Intelligence area. Unfortunately my application did not get through. When i tried to find out the reason i was told that the admission process was competitive enough for my application to get through. Well, i was surprised to hear the reply as it was a very basic course which i applied to possibly get some knowledge about the latest happenings in the area of data Analytic. So i wonder if the admissions are really based on merit. Since the school was a very ordinary educational (SIM) and a very basic course, plus i had previous expertise in the field already, my application should not have been rejected.

Second time i made an application to the Masters in Project Management at NUS in the year 2015-16. Since i already had a PMP certification with real world IT Management experience I thought i could easily get through the admission process based on my expertise and my qualifications. I was also requested to submit 2 references of work or educational. Which i had compiled with and 3 of my referees confirmed that they had submitted a reference. I personally was able wot confirm at least 2 of the references as well from the website submission status.

After the results came out i was surprised to know that my application again did not get through. I was once again disappointed with the results. I was informed that this year they had reduced the quota to just 15 applicants from 20-30 seats. This sounded ridiculous. So "Merit" Factor based admissions in Singapore courses needs to be clearly defined.

After these workings i have lost faith in most of the Singapore based systems.. sorry to say

No comments: